Thursday, October 10, 2013

Author Spotlight: Helen Dunn

Title: I, Lesbian Vampire
Available at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5MNELA
Author: Helen Dunn
Lesbian historical fiction/supernatural/erotic
Forever changed into a vampire, Jennifer Eastwood, discovers not only her own heightened sexuality but the fact she is apparently irresistible to women and can have her way with any she meets.


This vampire tale set in New Orleans just after the Civil War contains elements unique to the genre. One of the facets examined is what if a beheaded vampire whose body is staked is able to continue to exist but only as a head.

Plenty of blood drinking to satisfy any vampire lover, as well as a multitude of erotic scenes, this novella also applies dashes of madcap humor as the heroine attempts to cope with problems ranging from learning the ropes as a new vampire that leads her to make some mistakes, to a shocking encounter with other vampires in New Orleans.

Excerpt from Chapter 4
"I am so delighted to have you to travel with." Yvonne told me, reaching out and clasping my bare hand in her own white gloved one. Gloves were possibly the last thing on my mind as I had made my hasty departure from Eastwood. Before the war I would have been supremely embarrassed at being glove-less but considering all that had befallen both me and the south, it seemed foolishly trivial.
"You must come and visit us, Miss Eastwood, while you are in New Orleans." Mr. Levitt said, genially tossing out their address.
Yvonne quickly added her eager agreement to the invitation.
I thanked them, and as expected of me, said that I would certainly do so if and when time permitted, while I silently wondered how such a thing could ever be possible given my current condition.
At last the driver brought the coach around with a fresh team of four horses harnessed and ready, and our goods were loaded.
"I think I will ride up top; the fresh air will do me good," the old man stated, "and it will give you ladies more room in the coach besides, as well as a chance to enjoy each other's company."
He helped his granddaughter into the carriage, followed by his assisting me into the seat opposite hers.
"I hope grandfather won't fall asleep and topple off the carriage." Yvonne remarked laughing, as she took the opportunity of the extra space to spread out her voluminous skirt, as did I.
The carriage started with a jolt that sent Yvonne flying from off her seat and forward, towards me, and I easily caught her in my arms.
"Are you all right?" I asked looking into her wide green eyes. I did not immediately release her, and I noted Yvonne did not seem particularly anxious for me to do so.
It struck me at that moment that my vampirism affected some, or perhaps all women, whenever I locked my gaze with theirs. Was it possible I had become irresistible to women and could theoretically have any woman I wanted? It certainly explained Elizabeth Rainer's recent reaction to me as well as Yvonne Levitt's. It was as if the women's usual behavior and desires were overridden by my own.
Having Yvonne so near was having a very strong effect on me in regards to both sexual arousal and blood hunger. With Yvonne pressed rather closely against me, the warm scent of the girl's blood assailed my senses, and the position of her body likewise allowed me an ample view of her cleavage. Dare I act upon my impulses in the confines of a public coach!?


Review:

This romp through history is rife with adventure of the paranormal kind. Sexy and full of blood hunger, I found myself enraptured in the historical slant of the story and read it greedily. Lesbians, vampires and things that go bump in the night! Hot and lovely!

4/5



An Interview with the author:

1. How did you start writing erotica? Was it intentional or did it just sort of happen?

While my books contain some erotic material, I don't generally write what would be termed erotica.  I,Lesbian Vampire has many facets to it, erotica being one of them.  Actually what caused me to write I, Lesbian Vampire was I dreamed of writing a book that would take off the way Fifty Shades of Gray did.  That was my inspiration.  Although I admit I haven't read Fifty Shades of Gray.

2. Do you think writing lesbian erotica is in any way different from "typical" erotica? If so, in what ways?
It is not as different as many people might think.  Although in some straight erotica the male is often more dominant than perhaps would be presented in lesbian literature.

3. What are some of your favorite kinds of characters to write about?

I've always enjoyed my fictional villains tremendously - because as an author one can do so much more with a villain then they can the "good guy." The villain will stop at nothing in his/her treachery, so as a writer one can have a great deal of fun with the villain plotting and double crossing, etc.  I also enjoy featuring oddball characters, that I guess could be termed just flat out 'crazy', since like villains, they have virtually no boundaries regarding what they might do.  It also makes them more interesting as characters.

4. Heels or flats?

Flats.  When I was younger I thought heels were beautiful and wore them despite the fact my feet were killing me.  During my pregnancy, I got to where I simply could not wear them and I just never really went back to them.  Nowadays I'm  anti-heels and think women would do well to leave this fashion trend behind, it does a lot of damage to feet, ankles, legs and even the back.  I came to realize it even makes women walk in an unnatural way.

Our feet were not designed for us to put all our weight on the toes and ball of the foot.  I really do feel such fashions hold women back--how is anyone going to take us seriously when we're indulging in such foolish fashions.

5. If I were your favorite cookie, what would I be? 

Well, since I'm pre-diabetic I don't eat cookies much any more, and was never big on cookies. But I guess a soft chocolate chip would suit me. 

6. Tell us about your newest book.

My latest release is titled I, Lesbian Vampire.  It has a historical setting - it begins just as the American Civil War is ending. The heroine, Jennifer Eastwood, has disguised herself as a man in order to be a Confederate soldier.  Escaping from Union soldiers she finds a cave for shelter that night and what she encounters inside turns her into a vampire.  She returns briefly to her plantation but a bad encounter with another female vampire leads her to go to New Orleans where she prowls the dark streets, meeting up with women who have been forced into prostitution due to the bad conditions in the south--and she has sexual encounters with them.  I'd like to add, to keep from being hassled on the streets, Jennifer dresses in drag.

The most unique thing in the novella is when Jennifer becomes involved with a female vampire, a former slave named Lacey.  Lacey is a vampire who is now only a head, a situation that is explained in the story. This leads to various madcap "inventions" on Jennifer's part to give her a body.  There's still plenty of erotica, however, between Jennifer and Lacey.

7. Pizza or sushi?

Definitely pizza [although I don't these days due to having to watch the carbs], but I just don't think I would care at all for raw fish.

8. Name three things that are on your desk right now.

My black cat, Fancy Boy, my computer, and various pieces of paper with notes written on them mostly pertaining to my writing in one way or another.

9. Who are some of your favorite lesbian writers, erotic or otherwise?

There are many - here are three that come to mind:
 "And Love Came Calling" a lesbian western by Beverly Shearer
"The Wolf Ticket" by Caro Clarke/historical setting/WWII
"The Escape Artist" by Judith Katz/also historical setting
My preference in lesbian literature is historical settings.

10. What advice would you give new authors on writing in the lesbian erotic genre?

My advice to any author, writing erotica or otherwise, keep the story pace moving.  I see far too many books that have waaaay too much unnecessary filler.  If it doesn't move the plot forward, or explain and clarify your characters' behavior and actions - it's probably filler that you don't need.  Many books these days are what I call "over-written."  In one sentence: Don't bore your reader.

Thank you Helen for stopping by the blog today!





Helen Dunn - is the author of the lesbian historical fiction anthology Untamed Women of Yesteryear published by L-Books, [no longer in business, but the novellas are now available as separate e-books.] Untamed Women of Yesteryear received honorable mention by Golden Crown Literary Society, as well as being nominated for Favorite Lesbian Fiction Historical –  by the Lesbian Fiction Readers Choice Awards group for 2011.

Helen is in her 70's and lives with her long time female partner on a farm in the midwest, along with 5 cats and 2 dogs.  She grew up on farms, then spent most of her adult life in St. Louis before opting again for the country life.

She has written over 20 books & stories - all available as e-books at amazon.  
Readers who are interested in romance, humor, historical, paranormal/supernatural and mild horror in  lesbian and lgbt fiction, are invited to visit Helen Dunn's author's page at amazon. 
Blurbs & excerpts are at the screen for each individual book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_tc_2_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3AHelen+Dunn&keywords=Helen+Dunn&ie=UTF8&qid=1327384605&sr=1-2-ent&field-contributor_id=B0044Z61ZA

2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,

    Your last statement is right on. Most books today are overwritten. If I see a book that is over 300 words or approaching 400, it should probably be half of that! Remember the days of the slim paperbacks? What a wallop they packed in just over 200 pages or under. Congrats and thanks to Erzabet for hosting the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are in total agreement, Patty. Thanks for coming over and taking a look at my author spotlight.

    I'm currently reading your book "Passion for Vengeance" - it grabbed me within the first few pages. I like your descriptions--like painting a picture with words--and as always with your books the pace is excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!